Inflammation That Could Be Deadly
Illness or injury to your body should trigger your immune system to heat up at that location and essentially smoke out the enemy. If your immune system is healthy when the mission is accomplished, the inflammation subsides and healing begins.
But sometimes an immune system doesn’t know when to stop. It smolders beneath the surface, destroying the very tissue it’s supposed to heal. This potential volcano at the core of your body is called Chronic Inflammation. CI is thought to trigger such diseases as heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and gum disease.
A simple blood test for chronic inflammation focuses on C-reactive protein (CRP), which the liver produces when inflammation is present. Individuals with the highest levels of CRP are three times as likely as those with the lowest levels to suffer a heart attack within six years.
Your mouth can present evidence of CI—sore or bleeding gums. That is periodontal disease (gum disease), and it needs to be treated as soon as it is detected to reduce the risk.
Here’s how you may be able to reduce CI:
- Brush and floss twice daily
- Lose weight
- Stop smoking, or don’t start
- Control your blood pressure
- Exercise regularly
- Schedule time for meditation or prayer
- Eliminate sugars, refined starches, and processed foods from your diet, replacing them with fresh fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants, whole foods high in fiber, and healthy fats such as nuts and small fish.
- Treat periodontal disease in its early stage
Routine dental checkups are critical—not just for your teeth but for your overall health. Don’t permit a destructive fire to rage unchecked inside your body. Arrange for a dental appointment at our office at your earliest convenience!